Friday, September 19, 2008

Growing up




So Jack has started first grade. (Due to a bad memory card, I've lost lots of pictures. Including his first day of school. Big bummer.) Anyway, it's been an adjustment for everybody, but probably most for me. I have been seriously missing my little sidekick and buddy.

We are lucky enough to have a neighborhood school that we can walk to (he still holds my hand, by the way, and I LOVE it). So every morning and afternoon we are outside enjoying the nice weather and chatting, and I hear it all on those walks. (In fact, that's when I learned about the little boy in his class who was calling girls "the B word" and telling them they are S-E-X-Y.)

Anyway, so after school the other day, we are talking and he says that a little girl at school is being mean to him. And I asked what she was doing and he said she keeps making this face at him:




And then he told me that her best friend came up to him and said, "she has a crush on you." I asked him what that meant and he said he wasn't sure, but did I ever have a crush on Daddy? I said yes, I had a crush on Daddy and that it just means she likes you. He thought about that for a minute and then said, "Eeew. Does that mean I have to marry her?"


It is so fun to see him learning so much and growing up. It is interesting to see him encountering different social situations and figuring out who he is and how he fits in. I love him and I love being his mom.

8 comments:

Randy said...

yeah, I'm still encountering different social situations and trying to figure out how I fit in too. Sigh...

Randy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
anderson's said...

Randy, we're trying to figure that out about you too...j/k

Syd, I love how sweet Jack is to all his classmates!

Christen, Doug and Dillon said...

That is too cute! I love that he jumps right to: eww, does that mean I have to marry her? He cracks me up!
By the way, he is the best, sweetest little boy ever. I absolutely LOVE the way he treats Dillon. SO SWEET!

Brittney said...

These are the moments that make all the challenges of parenting worth it. What a great experience and how great is it that you are blogging now so you will never forget these fun times.

Isn't it interesting to have such mature conversations with your kids. Alex is 8 and I feel like I am talking to a teenager sometimes. Life goes by way too fast!

Jacynthe said...

The best time to have conversations with kids is right after school because they forget quickly. Like by 5 o'clock, he probably wouldn't even mention it. It is nice that you can have this time with him. Enjoy it because soon enough, you'll be the meanest and dorkiest mom in the world! Get ready for eyes rolling :)

Brittney said...

Just wanted to let you know, I just made my blog private. I have been getting way too many hits (69 just today) and I've got me an Australian stocker who gets on my site 4 times a day and looks at our pictures...a little too freaky for me so it was time to make a change!

Anyway, I would love for you to keep stopping by. It has been so fun to reconnect with you. You will just have to sign in first. It should pull up to a sign-in page now.

My 'Little Womens' Mom! said...

What a fun blog! I enjoyed reading your joys of Jack growing up!! How fun! Love you, Aunt Barbara